Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Bright (Netflix Original Movie 2017)





The Good:
  • I actually really enjoyed the tone of the world created in Bright. It is a decent blend of cop drama and fantasy. It does lean more heavily on the cop drama side. So, if you are looking for a true fantasy film, be warned, this is not it. 
  • I could have put this with the above point, but I wanted to separate it a little. The background is something you only get a few little tastes of throughout the movie. Even if no one admits it, you could tell the creators would love to make this a wider story.
  • The races felt pretty distinct and specific. They were not LotR races, but the stereotypes were definitely there and played off heavily. I liked differences 
  • Chase movies, do you like them? If no, then skip this one. It is mostly about multiple groups chasing the mcguffin around. Notice I have this in the "good", it's because I enjoy those kinds of films generally.
The Bad:
  • A lot of Will Smith's dialog was lacking. Really the dialog in general was mediocre at best.
  • The plot was a bit simple, and mostly unexplained, and this usually does not bother me. I put this in the "bad" though because it could have been a rich element to utilize and draw in the viewer. I mean, I would have really enjoyed a little more depth to what was happening.
  • Will Smith's family were pointless. On the flipside, he did do what a smart person would do BEFORE things get out of hand, he told them to get out of town.
  • The Orc cop, Jakoby, had little background to him. Again, normally fine, but the audience has nothing to base their understanding of him on here.


Overall: Here's the thing, this is a film for a fantasy lovers, but it is set in a gritty cop drama, that is difficult to pull off. Also, for those who love a good police drama, it is laden with odd fantasy elements that would be distracting. Does it work? Just barely. I liked it, but was it great, not really. And for the Shadowrun fans, it works as that, but without the hacker stuff. I would watch another film based in the universe for sure though. 5 orc teef outta 10.

No comments: