Friday, August 10, 2007

Flash Gordon (TV - 2007)


Flash Gordon (TV Series Premiere)

The Good:
Eric Johnson looks the part of Flash Gordon and his acting was ok too - I think after a few episodes he'll be a lot better.
I liked the way Mongo looked and the tech seemed a nice compromise between cheese and modern futurism.
Truthfully, there was a touch of cheese, but not too much.
Special effects were cool.
The story itself was pretty neat, it kept my interest, and it follows up Doctor Who quite well (which is what airs right before it on the Sci-Fi Channel).

The Bad:
Where's the rocket ship? I am growing weary of this dimensional gate crap that's all the rage in sci-fi.
I guess the people from Mongo speak English.
They were looking for an IMAX? Heheheheeeee! They wanted to see a big movie I guess.
Alright, so the "Old Ming" was a bit non-pc. He was from Mongo, sounds a lot like Mongol (kept the same in the new series), and his name was Ming, a common Chinese name and indeed the name of an entire dynasty (kept the same). You know what though, the "Old Ming" had style, Mandarin style. The "New Ming" has a look that is little different than the officers in Battlestar Galactica or a Peacekeeper from Farscape. I like the look and style of the "Old Ming" better.

Overall: Was it what I was expecting? No. Was it perfect? No. Did I find it worth watching? Yes. Will I watch a few more episodes to see if it is a good series? Yes. I say, it has potential.

Old Ming

(or)

New Ming

2 comments:

Frayed One said...

"New Ming" was a pussy - and I hated nearly every character they introduced. I don't remember hating even "Old Ming" that much in the movie. I thought they lacked substance and had questionable morai/motivation at every turn. Also - They didn't use Queen - they replaced it with some horrid band that was just TRYING to be Queen. Nuff said.

Frayed One said...

Oh - and in the image of the "New Ming" I noticed two thing - 1 the symbol on the wall behind him (center) looks oddly like one of the transformers logos. 2 it looks like the generic base design template from City Of Heroes/Villains especially with those silly banners. What's up with new villains and needing to decorate their lairs with banners?