Wednesday, August 22, 2007

TMNT (2007)



I have found memories of a lot of cartoons from my childhood, GI Joe, Transformers, Thundercats, and I expect a lot from any feature film that takes my younger years and tries to make a film from the animation of my past. So far, no Thundercats movie. There was G.I. Joe: The Movie, which was awesome, but was really just a straight continuation of the franchise from the time (in other words I was still a kids when it came out), so no real G.I. Joe movie yet. Transformers was a failure in my opinion the box office disagrees with me, I endorse the original The Transformers: The Movie a hundred times over the crap they just released. Underdog the new feature looks terrible. Blah blah blah. My point is I am usually quite harsh on films that try to capitalize on the X and Y generations' nostalgia for the cartoons of yesteryear.

This brings me the TMNT, the first fully animated Teenage Ninja Turtles movie. I loved it. The film had amazing animation. Between the rain and the shallow focus to create a sense of depth, I was just in awe. The action also was very well choreographed. The fights scenes were sweet. The story was good, not great, but quite good. Splinter was freakin hilarious. I would have soooooo loved to have this come out when I was a kid! But as an adult... I still really liked it. Sometimes you just gotta wallow in the fun films, Cowabunga dude! - yeah I said it, bite me!

On a side note, my first "date" was to the orginal live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :-)

No comments: