Thursday, March 6, 2008

Mermaid Chronicles Part 1: She Creature (2006)


I was walking around Hollywood video, looking for something interesting to watch the other night. I wondered through the horror section as usual and saw something that I had overlooked everytime in the store so far She Creature (or perhaps it was that the title automatically made me think it was some crappy Species rip-off, which by the way would be extra crappy because Species isn't a very good movie). I picked it up to read the back for a laugh, but then saw that Rufus Sewell was in it and so was Carla Gugino and the plot didn't sound terribly bad. So I said, "What the hell!" and rented She Creature. BTW, IMDB calls this Mermaid Chronicles Part 1: She Creautre.

The Good:
Sewell was decent and Gugino was quite good in this mariner's tale of terror.
It reminded me of an old monster movie.
The filmmakers did a good job of creating a "mythology" for the mermaid.
The plot was okay, it was quite the classic monster tale, but that was honestly a pleasant surprise.
The creature effects on the mermaid for most of the movie were awesome (I suppose the fact she is an attractive topless woman didn't hurt either).
I actually would like to see part 2... of course there isn't a part 2... which makes the fact they call this one part 1 kinda dumb, or maybe their funding got cut.
I like horror that includes madness and monsters!

The Bad:
Some of the non-lead actors were not-so-good.
A few characters were 2-D.
The sound editor needed his hearing checked, the whispers are too soft in comparision with the rest of the film.
Much of the ending I liked, but some parts of the conclusion just lacked somehow.
You might feel a little sea sick afterwards, the camera moves a lot (and though this completes the feel of the movie, for some it might be a negative).

Overall: I was pleasantly surprised by She Creature. It falls right inbetween Jaws and Splash (if Splash were horror).

No comments: